For the 2023 CAIS Lecture series, we compiled a list of full professors (with AI-related research interests) from the AI-related departments of the following universities: Cambridge, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Edinburgh, Imperial College London, MIT, Oxford, Princeton, Stanford, Toronto, UC Berkeley, and University College London. We then extended this list with notable-but-otherwise-missing AI/AI-safety/AGI experts and other AI royalty. The final list comprised some 380 world-class experts, including > 350 full professors. Of these, ~50 expressed an interest in delivering a CAIS Lecture at some point in the future, of which ~25 submitted potential dates for 2023, of which 9 were tentatively selected.
At the time of writing (21 March 2023), at least “soft” confirmations have been received as follows:
- Wed 8 Mar — Prof Lawrence Paulson, Cambridge University — confirmed 21.11.22
- Fri 14 Apr — Prof Neil Lawrence, Cambridge University — confirmed 19.03.23
- Wed 10 May — Prof Bob Kowalski, Imperial College London — confirmed 20.11.22
- Mon 12 Jun — Prof Pei Wang, Temple University — confirmed 31.01.23
- Fri 7 Jul — Prof Joseph Halpern, Cornell University — confirmed 14.11.22
- Wed 9 Aug — Prof Marek Sergot, Imperial College London — confirmed 10.2.23
- Thu 14 Sep — Prof James McClelland, Stanford University — “confirmed” 17.11.22
- Wed 11 Oct — Prof Alessandra Russo, Imperial College London — confirmed 14.11.22
- Wed 8 Nov — Prof Jan Bergstra, University of Amsterdam — confirmed 14.11.22
Confirmations in quotes, as well as more distant confirmations, should be regarded as a little more soft than the others. Nevertheless, we are hopeful that this schedule will remain intact.