Tickets: Student tickets are £15, standard tickets are £20 (including Eventbrite fees), available HERE
Directions and parking
Information re venue location, parking, and layout may be found HERE.
18:30 Pull up a groove and get fabulous! (a.k.a. registration – please arrive early)
19:00 Scheduled talk: "A Model of General Intelligence"
20:00 Pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza! (Stimulating conversation encouraged…)
21:00 Event close – you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here!
About the talk
Title: "A Model of General Intelligence"
An AGI system, NARS, will be introduced in the talk. The work is based on the understanding of "intelligence" as adaptation with insufficient knowledge and resources. NARS (Non-Axiomatic Reasoning System) has an experience-grounded semantics, uses a concept-centered knowledge representation, and uniformly carries out various types of reasoning (deduction, induction, abduction, analogy, revision, ...) that also accomplish learning, planning, perceiving, and other cognitive functions. NARS can solve problems in a case-by-case manner without problem-specific algorithms by dynamically allocating computational resources. NARS is implemented as an open-source project and partial results have been used in commercial software.
About the speaker
Pei Wang received his Bachelor of Science degree and Master of Science degree in Computer Science from Peking University in 1983 and 1986, respectively, and his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Computer Science and Cognitive Science from Indiana University, Bloomington, in 1995. He is an Associate Professor of Instruction in the Department of Computer and Information Sciences of Temple University. His research is interdisciplinary, including artificial intelligence, psychology, linguistics, logic, and philosophy. He has been designing and developing a model of intelligence, NARS (Non-Axiomatic Reasoning System) over the decades. He is the founding Chief Executive Editor of the Journal of Artificial General Intelligence and the Vice Chair of the Artificial General Intelligence Society.
Cambridge AI Social (CAIS) seeks to deliver a series of in-person “AI + pizza” events (CAIS Lectures) in Cambridge (one of Europe’s hottest AI hubs!)
Fundamental to the CAIS vision are:
- speakers must be a recognised world leader in their field
- events are non-profit, with minimal cost to attendees
- each event comprises a roughly one-hour talk followed by socialisation (with pizza!)
CAIS would not be possible without the support of its sponsors:
- one-man AGI non-profit BigMother.AI
- AI-driven forecasting startup Dimension Technologies
- Startup growth consultancy Tide Partners
- This is an in-person event (audience and speaker), and will not be livestreamed.
- A recording of the talk, and images of the event, will be captured as part of the event.
- Your personal image, voice, etc may be among the audio, video, and images captured.
- By attending an event you are granting us permission to use these recordings/images.
- These recordings (audio and video) and images may later be disseminated by CAIS.
- For example, CAIS may post images and event videos to its website, and to YouTube.
- In particular, CAIS may license the event video to e.g. commercial VoD channels.
- In order to qualify for a student ticket, you must be enrolled on a full-time course
- ... please bring your student ID to the event so that the registration desk can check it!
- We may sometimes need to find a replacement speaker (e.g. due to a cancellation)
- ... unfortunately, in this eventuality, we will be unable to provide refunds.
- CAIS events are held in shared indoor spaces such as auditoria, canteens, etc.
- Do not attend if you have symptoms of a communicable disease (e.g. COVID, cold, flu).
- We cannot be held liable should you contract a communicable disease at a CAIS event.
- Service animals only – please do not bring any dogs/pets/emotional support animals.
- We reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone for any reason.
- Any ticket holder refused admission will be offered a partial refund.
- Ticket holders will be fully refunded should an entire event be cancelled.